Saturday, January 9, 2010

Mastodon- Crack The Skye


So I've been really slacking on this album list. I had every intention of having this done between Christmas and New Year's Day. I'm a failed blogger; how embarrassing. Anywho, so here's my next album on my "Best of 09" list and shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. First off, I don't think I saw any top lists that didn't have this record on it and secondly, I've been on this band wagon for quite a while and I jocked their previous releases, hard, as well. The album kicks ass, pretty simply. I will say, in total honesty, the first time I threw this bad boy in, I was a little disappointed. I'd heard some rough mixes and was blown away, but the album took me a couple of listens to really get into. Not entirely sure why though. It's definitely their "least heavy" release and I think it took me off guard. But it grew on me, quickly. What it lacked in "heaviness" it made up for in general intensity and awesome (in the truest sense of the word) memorable melodies. I'd like to pick a favorite track from the album, but I can't; the whole thing just works so well together. (I guess that's sort of the point of a concept record.) This, to me, was the logical next step from Blood Mountain and I can't wait to hear what they recorded for the Jonah Hex film.

No comments:

Post a Comment